Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ocean Moon

So one night a few weeks ago, after going for a nightswim, I was walking my dog Griffin, and I looked up and saw, this most perfect moon, clouded by purple, blue and green...like a moon diving in the ocean. And I just had a feeling, for a moment, that my mother was up there, hanging out with Janis Joplin and her best friend Diane and
watching me...or dancing with me...she always liked to dance, sometimes in the kitchen, sometimes in a rainstorm and sometimes while doing laundry. But lately, I've been flooded with a lot of memories about her, and it's funny, death, that it makes you think about all of the other people in your life as well, some who stay for awhile, and some who you meet for maybe a few brief moments, but have a huge impact on your life. I met one of those lately, I don't even think he realized it...I guess I meet them all the time and maybe I don't even realize it. And so, I feel as if I've been trying to find someone who will give it all meaning, but instead I think maybe, I'm supposed to just continue traveling on this train, meeting people, sharing with them, enjoying them and taking a small part of them and passing along a small part of myself along the way. I don't know, but it makes a lot more sense to me, than having one or two people complete everything I'm supposed to know. My mother was one of those people. I'm leaving for Tennessee, tonight, a little jealous that my friends left 12 hours ago and are already in the water, in the sun, but we are on different schedules. And as I'm packing, I'm wondering...who will I meet? What will I see. Maybe another ocean moon...

No comments: