Monday, August 4, 2008

Moments of the Truly Sweet...


Malcom McLaren's "Paris, Paris"...Walking around Las Vegas late at night...night swimming naked under a full moon...first kisses...brand new white sheets...french menthol cigarettes in black packs...patagonia coats and three day beards...feeling my toes in the sand at the beach...sleeping all day and staying up all night...complete candor...sitting on my best friend Paul's "love" patio drinking coffee in the hot Denver sun...driving around in his jeep with the doors off jamming to old Kelly Price, my feet dangling out the side of the jeep...babies smiling at me in the grocery store...someone running their fingers through the back of my hair...finishing a really good book and giving it to a friend...looking at old pictures...being surprised by small things, which doesn't happen often...seeing cardinals and small white fluff sailing through the sky...my dog griffin scratching his back on the carpet or trying to keep his eyes open until I'm ready to go to sleep...driving late at night with nowhere to go, playing favorite music I haven't heard in a long time...The Cure, The Smiths, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, Julee Cruise, Shalimar, Joseph Arthur and Willie Nelson...Walking on cold concrete in my bare feet...being winked at, gets me every time...gummi worms...going to see horror movies late on Sunday nights in the middle of winter and it's snowed while I'm in the theatre...masculinity...smoking a really good cigar and drinking really black coffee in the summer...dreams and trying to fall asleep to have that dream again...blue...pajama pants with no shirts...movie nights with everyone on the floor...not having to go home...asking me to stay over...the jackson county fair...secretly reading a children's book series...bamboo plants and white stargazer lilies...the smell of the islands...underwear as a gift...new jeans that feel old...men in workboots, faded jeans, expensive fleece coats, green tee shirts and baseball hats...staying in suites...taking a nap, naked, on a hot afternoon, after a cold shower, with the fan blowing around my feet...childhood innocence...the last five minutes of "To Kill a Mockingbird", "My Dog Skip" and "The Color Purple"...small towns...stopping at truck stops and buying stuff I don't need...staying up til 6am talking...asian spice incense...flying first class...driving in a foreign country and listening to their radio stations, especially in Antigua...receiving cute random texts...crying unaware...talking to my cousin Caroline on the phone while driving to my office...having sudden new ideas for stories...matchbooks...beaded jewelry and leather bracelets...fresh, hot donuts...doing nothing on a Sunday, but feeling like the day was not wasted, because we went to the book store, drank coffee, walked around and ate an early dinner in a small, mexican restaurant before going home and diving into bed...Lime and Vinyl in Denver...and moments of realizing that the Truly Sweet are everywhere I look...

No comments: